Map View Search - is it useful for you?

Hey Movebubblers!

So, are you ready for our first sneek peak? Well, we’re currently starting our project of creating a Map View Search. You’ve probably seen similar things in other apps, but just in case you haven’t, this sort of feature allows you to see properties that match your search, but on a map!

But we need your help! To build the best Map View Search we possibly can, we need to know more about how exactly it helps you. So… here are some questions to get you started, but we’d love to hear all of your feedback in the comments below.

1. What is it about Map View Search that is so helpful?

2. What do you miss most when Map View Search is not available?

3. What does Map View Search enable you to do, that you can’t do with another view, say in a list?

4. Have you seen any other similar map views on other apps/websites that you particualrly like, and why did you like them?

5. Similarly, what is most frustrating about using a Map View? Anything you find tricky?

Feel free to give us any other feedback about searching for properties, and how we can help you!

Hey Amy,

For me map view is about getting some kind of context between properties and the surrounding area. i.e. is there shops near by or which property is closer to the tube when comparing options.

I’m not sure anyone has managed to get map view to work really well on mobile. When I start my search map view is really important and I kind of move into list view as my search develops.

I’m still not sure what problem map view solves for me… but thinking about when I uses map view on airbnb use it check place that might be on the edge of an area.

Movebubble will be conducting both remote and in-person user testing to get to the bottom of ‘what value renters see in map view’

I think Map View is potentially very useful for people who prioritise area over the specific property. A lot of people are more worried about commute times and what there is to do in an area rather than finding the perfect property that’s not in the area they desire.

I think that map view is largely about filtering properties by location. Its more fluid than searching by areas - or even drawing your own boundaries. This is because all properties are shown, and you filter them out by seeing where they are. However the difficulty for me has been developing a useful workflow around a map, how do you know which properties you have looked at and which you haven’t? if Movebubble can solve this on a small screen then they will be on to a winner!

Let’s not use a map on a mobile screen like you would use it on a desktop. Forget anything about just showing things to impress the user with how many properties we have, but instead provide multiple views to show useful things on the map.

Things like:

• Big area blocks to know exactly what do we mean when we say Fulham or Stoke Newington
  • Show only newly added properties on the map, or find a way to know which one are the new ones, which one are the new one that you already looked at and which one are the old ones.
  • Show only the one from your watchlist
  • Show only the ones close enough to things that you like ( gym, supermarket, type of transport )

I’m keen to work on a way to integrate app and desktop website integration for the map view. Since they are both web based we could reuse part of the same code to provide cross platform features.

• What is it about Map View Search that is so helpful?

Helps to quickly find and rate properties by location.

• What do you miss most when Map View Search is not available?

I find it frustrating having to go in and out of listing just to get the map view.

• What does Map View Search enable you to do, that you can’t do with another view, say in a list?

You can think about properties in a way that aligns with your brains natural way of thinking. Reference: NLP, memory palaces.

• Have you seen any other similar map views on other apps/websites that you particualrly like, and why did you like them?

Keep it simple, use Google.

• Similarly, what is most frustrating about using a Map View? Anything you find tricky?

It can be hard to get the usability right - should be more straight forward in an app but one thing that I think helps is a combination map/list view ie. A list that moves the map when scrolled and vice versa.

Hey everyone,

Below are early iterations of how map view might look in the Movebubble app. We’re trying to work through the different zoom levels of a map view, and how to present properties in the most useful way.

Through our research, presenting map pins with prices on is an extremely helpful identifier for renters to quickly tab on a property of interest.

Zoomer out to certain point makes the price pins on the map too busy and unhelpful, so we decided to collapse the price pins to normal size pins.

The main problem we’re tackling at the moment is how to aggregate areas when users search by Zone or whole of London. This is a common search pattern we’ve seen in the app. We’d like to offer some form of education to help renters discovery areas of interest and help narrow down their search.

What are your thoughts on the below design iteration and how best you’d like properties presented on a map?

@simon I love the price pins! I think it helps to learn about whether there are any pockets of affordable areas.

Hi again,

Here’s an update on how Map View is progressing:

The development team is working really hard on the usability of the Movebubble Map. It’s really important to us to ‘nail the basics’ before building the bells and whistles. The speed of scrolling, the rendering of the properties and navigation is crucial to the map’s success.

As the dev team continues their great work, I’ve been working on how the property cards look, and how the map integrates with the property feed. One of the main goals of map view was to seamlessly integrate it with the feed - we didn’t want it to feel like a separate view, but rather an extension of the list of properties.

Below are the final designs we’ve settled on. You’ll see we’ve integrated the map into the top of the feed, and opted for an ‘action button’ to switch between the feed and map view.

What are your thoughts on how the map integrates with the property feed?